Thursday, April 2, 2015

Ten years ago – my Country Music Anniversary



It’s a bit after nine o’clock in the evening. Skype is running. The call with a very close American friend of mine is on. And on the webcam, I see the shocked look on his face.
I go back a few minutes to sum up what we’ve just talked about. It’s music.
“Do you know any country music?”
That’s what he’s just asked, as we have been chatting about music in general, and the question’s made me go thoughtful.
As an answer, I have slightly shaken my head and said, “Well, I know somehow Dolly Parton and Johnny Cash but… not really, not that I could say.”
He is not a fan of country music, as he says, but he’s still so shocked for my reply that he makes an effort and sends me a link of a song. He asks me to listen to it. He says it would give me a good impression of country music because the singer is good; his music is country, he has a good classic-type of country voice, and his shows always rock “in a country way”.
“Alrighty then,” I think and open the link, because I’m always open to give a try to anything new.
A song starts playing. I ask him to wait for a moment. Then I focus on listening.
The beat is interesting. I realize the music is not what I exactly expected.
And then comes the singing.
First I just listen to the music in general. But suddenly I pay attention to the fact that the singer sounds a bit different… it’s not the kind of English I’m used to hearing. But his voice is very pleasant. It’s enjoyable to listen to.
I look at the title of the clip more closely: Garth Brooks – The Night I Called The Old Man Out.
“So, this is country music,” I think and a smile passes on to my face.
“So?,” my friend asks when the song has ended.
But I don’t comment. Instead, as a language lover, I approach the thing from that aspect.
“I wonder… why does he drawl the words?”
My friend bursts into laughter. Then he says it’s part of the game in the south to do that.
I go a bit confused because I don’t understand his reaction and I’m confused what’s so funny that it’s making him laugh.
But we don’t get stuck to it, and the chat goes on.

Then years ago, my life came to a turn. I found country music. I fell in love with it. And ever since, it’s played a big role in my life.
But it’s not just country music. I find the culture and lifestyle they lead in the southern US fascinating; the southern and western stuff and everything from the accents to the attitudes.
When I learned the meaning of “to cowboy up” I realized it’s very close to the Finnish “sisu” meaning guts. In many country songs, it’s said that when you get thrown down (from the saddle) you’ve got to cowboy up. That’s exactly what my attitude in general is like.
Any type of country music is good, even if I have to honestly admit that I’m less fond of today’s country that is mostly pop or rock and the artists and their fans just call it country. But I have my top favorites. I call Garth Brooks my Country Music First Love because his music opened the door to the world of country music to me. The others belonging to the top group are Chris LeDoux, Lonestar, and Justin Moore.
Every time I hear country music anywhere or I listen to it I feel awesome! It’s a way to put a smile on my face. Even if I was feeling blue, if I heard some country it’d chase the blueness away.
So, I am celebrating today. But I’m celebrating alone because it’s more or less “my thing”. Country music is not popular or well known in Finland. Basically, people know Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, and Willie Nelson. But, for example, I’ve asked my friends if they know who George Strait and Alan Jackson are. They don’t.
I have two dreams I’ll go for when I have a chance. I’ve been in the US once, in Florida. I am going to have a vacation in one of the southern states; Texas most probably. And I am going to see a country music concert live; if it was Garth’s concert I’d be in heaven!
For dinner, I’m cooking Nashville Hot Chicken with white bread, pickle chips, and goat cheese dip. And needless to say, country music is playing in the background. That’s the name of the game on the 10th Country Music Anniversary.

6 comments:

  1. Happy country music anniversary, Tiina!! I do have to say that you don't want a Texan to hear you call them "southern". Texas is not a southern state. Texas is a south-western state. There is a difference! I have so enjoyed being on some of your country music journey, with you. I'm not the fan you are, but I do enjoy the old country classics and Alan Jackson is one of my favorites!! Please make sure Florida is on your itinerary when you make it to the USA again. I would LOVE to meet you in person! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and congrats, Terri! It means a lot to me, and I know you aren't such a fan as I am. But you have been on some of the journey and it's been awesome!
      Yes, we have discussed Texas being mostly of its own before and rather western than southern. I haven't forgotten about it. I was just referring to that I'd love to go ther and I'd just love to go to the south - let them being two individual things, a bit awkwardly expressed above in the entry.

      Delete
  2. Happy CM Day :) Glad that you found CM and that it has meant so much to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post, Tiina!...Happy Country Music Anniversary!! As you know I am a huge country music fan as well. I grew up on country music and it followed me into adulthood. My all time favorite country artist is Garth Brooks but I love the classic artists too..Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, George Strait, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard...there are too many to list! I sure hope that one day we can meet. Michigan isn't in the south but you never know..I might me visiting the south when you are there. Your dinner sounds so good..let me know how you like the Nashville Hot chicken..the recipe you sent me sounded really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment and congrats, Kris! I know you're a big fan and it's great! Even if I've known country music for ten years - not longer - and I didn't grow up with it, because it's not popular here, it plays a big role in my life. The friend of mine who introduced it to me has said, "It'd be impossible to take country out of you," because he knows it's so deep in me. And he's so right.
      One day when I come to the US it'd be fun to visit more than just one state. I'd rather do that than have a vacation in one place. There'd be so much to see and I have a few good friends I'd like to meet; you included, of course! Michigan isn't in the south but, as I know, it has the largest Finnish population in the United States. It's also surrounded by big lakes, so I'm sure there'd be many beautiful places to see.

      Delete