Friday, March 25, 2016

True friendship – until death parts



This morning, on Good Friday, I’m looking back. I return to the day 12 years ago, March 25th in 2004. It was one of those days that became a turn in my life because I met a person who became one of my best and closest friends.
The first letter of Joe had a subject “Hei” which is a Finnish greeting for “hello”. He introduced himself as an American linguist and English teacher. He expressed his interest in Finland. And not much more was needed when I knew I’d write back to him. It’s always impressive when a foreigner expresses sincere interest in my country online. Being a language lover, I thought I might have a whole bunch of interesting conversations with him – by the time, I had no idea how many we actually had in all the years.
A month ago, I got a very sad, heartbreaking message from his family saying he had passed away. He had been sick for quite a while and – to be honest – I had been afraid of the day when I would get to know it’s now been his time to go. That day always comes too soon when someone close to you passes. It always feels things were left unfinished; there’d still have been so much to say, so much to do, so much to tell…
Joe and I started as pen friends. Our letters were long and chatty. We talked about languages (mostly English but also Finnish and some others) but we also talked about other things. It felt like there was no topic we couldn’t have talked about; lighter or deeper. Very soon, I got the feeling that once I saw a new letter from him I had a great urge writing back to him immediately.
After some time, somewhat half a year being friends, we started doing voice chatting on Skype in addition to letter writing. By the time, my English oral skills weren’t the strongest and Joe wanted to help me a bit there. It turned out voice chatting was as much fun as letter writing. It became a routine for us and we chatted one or two times a week.
Joe brought so much good into my life. And I know I did the same to him because we talked about it many times. I learned so much from him. And I had so much to tell him when he requested information about Finland and many other things. But one of the biggest things he did was that he introduced me to country music. I have posted this entry The 5 Meaningful Songs on here earlier. The first song mentioned in the article, by Garth Brooks, tells how it turned out.
On March 25th in 2014, we had a voice chat on Skype. We had a little celebration for our tenth anniversary of friendship. On April 2nd in 2015, we also had a voice chat on Skype also having a little celebration for our anniversary of me having fallen in love with country music ten years earlier. Those were actually some of the last voice chats we had. We stayed in letter-writing being Joe’s wish because he wasn’t so well anymore by the time.
When I look back and think about the 12 years it’s really easy to realize how very meaningful this friendship was to me. And it’s even easier to realize how different and emptier my life would be if I had never met Joe – if he had never written to me on that Thursday.
Even if I never had a chance to meet Joe in person it feels like I had met him. Most of our Skype video calls were long and lasted for hours. Not being a joke, once we had a real marathon call. We started at nine o’clock in the evening my time and it was half past six in the morning when I was finally so tired that I was close to doze off. And being most certain, there was not even one boring second included in those nine and a half hours.
Good memories will always live in my mind and heart. Even if we never met in person we stayed in touch in all the 12 years. We really were friends until death parted us. But even yet, we’ll still remain friends in my memories.

6 comments:

  1. What a touching story. So painful how the cold hands of death would separate this wonderful friendship. I can imagine how happy Joe would be, reading this amazing reflections on the very close friendship you two shared. May his soul rest in peace.

    Buchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story with Joe is so heartfelt. I am sorry for your loss. I like talking about my loved ones who have passed, it keeps them alive. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories of old and true friendships make us feel good about our lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is awesome who have such beautiful friendship over 12 long years but Joe may live forever in your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm! Quite touching. May his friendly soul rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even while reading, I realize there are potions of this friendship that would never be written because the words do not exist to pit it into writing. Its not just a meeting of two individuals, but a meeting of souls. May this friendship continue as and when. Long live Joe, long live true and timeless friendship.

    ReplyDelete