Saturday, July 26, 2014

Iittala – a Finnish design brand


In Finland, there are quite a few different famous and popular design brands of different products. In this entry, I thought I’d introduce the Iittala products a bit. Iittala mostly focuses on tableware, glassware, and silverware.
Iittala brand has several product families. I myself don’t really have anything design or brand at home. I’ve never really been so fond of such things. My tableware, glassware, and silverware just like my clothes and most anything else are basic stuff, so-to-say. But last week I bought a set of plates that belong to Iittala’s Teema family. The word is “theme” in English but because it’s the name of the product family it’s a proper noun.
And I’m all over excited about them. The plates are suitable both for dining and serving. They aren’t exactly bowls but they are a bit wider. The diameter is 21cm / 8.2 inches. They’ve been designed by Kaj Franck. What makes them more special is that unlike normal plates, they can be used in cooking even in the oven.
I did think twice though before buying them because, as we all know, brand and design products cost money. The set has six plates – I always want to have six (or twelve) of whatever tableware, glassware, and silverware. One plate costs €16.20 / $21.49 in Iittala Shop. But I found the set of six plates with €75 / $100, as they were on offer. Though, it is still quite a bit just of six plates. But I never waste money. And I believe that if one really wants something and has considered it they should go for it.
My mother has some of the Ultima Thule glassware family and I think they are really beautiful too. Iittala has several beautiful product families. All the products are simple, timeless, but yet they look stylish and they would fit to most kitchens.

I could share dozens and dozens of photos of the products but it’s easier just to share the link of the web shop where all the products are available with photos.
Iittala Web Shop: https://www.iittala.com/home
There’s also a brief introduction about Iittala on Wikipedia, as I didn’t really get into it so much in this entry. Teema and Ultima Thule are my favorite Iittala product families which is why I included them to this entry. But like I said, there’s much more.

1 comment:

  1. Your new plates are lovely, and I'm sure will be quite versatile. They would certainly make great pasta bowls! Making an investment like that is never money wasted. Your guests will feel quite pampered when served your delicious food in those lovely vessels.

    ReplyDelete